THE PURPOSE OF A URINE DRUG TEST IS TO DETERMINE IF THE DONOR HAD A RECENT (WITHIN 72 HOURS) SIGNIFICANT EXPOSURE TO A SPECIFIC ILLICIT SUBSTANCE; THEREFORE A URINE DRUG SCREEN WILL BE REPORTED AS EITHER POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE.
THE URINE DRUG TEST IS NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH AN IMPAIRMENT EVALUATION. A URINE DRUG TEST OFFERS NO INFORMATION WITH REGARD TO THE DONORS PAST OR PRESENT COGNITIVE IMPAIRMENT.
Prior to initiation of any Urine Drug Test the following criteria must be satisfied:
1. The employer MUST have a written Substance Abuse Testing policy in place.
2. The employer MUST have either a Substance Abuse Testing protocol in place with their medical provider or the employee present an authorization form signed by an authorized representative of the company requesting that a Substance Abuse Test (Urine Drug Test) be performed. Review 2016 OSHA Regulations Regarding Post Accident Drug Screening.
3. In the event the employer believes that the employee is impaired, the employer must have a co-worker escort/transport the employee (donor) to the medical center.
The Urine Drug Screen (this initiates the Urine Drug Test):
1. The receptionist will ask the donor (employee) to present a VALID ID. The the receptionist will then ask that the donor complete a general "consent to treatment" form. The donor will then be checked-in to the medical clinic by a receptionist at the front desk.
2. A technician will escort the donor to the collection area (monitored by CCTV).
3. The donor will be asked to complete a specific "consent to urine drug testing"
4. The initial testing will be a Urine Drug SCREEN.
a. The donor will be asked to submit a urine specimen utilizing a specialized container containing immunoassay test strips.
b. The specimen will be tested immediately in the presence of the donor.
c. If the specimen is found not to react with any of the specialized immunoassay test strips within the container, the Urine Drug SCREEN will be deemed non-reactive and reported as NEGATIVE.
d. If the specimen is found to react with any of the specialized immunoassay test strips within the container, the Urine Drug SCREEN will be deemed reactive and reported as NON-NEGATIVE.
A NON-NEGATIVE Urine Drug Screen is NOT A POSITIVE URINE DRUG TEST.
5. In the event a Urine Drug Screen is found to be NON-NEGATIVE the CONFIRMATION process will be initiated.